This thread and "The Science of DF?" thread have been very educational. I'd suggested "simply" making a new section with the "Bug Tracking" and "Technical Support" and title it "Educational". Toss in good informative threads that have been discussed here in the general forum into that one, but if someone posts a reply to a thread in there, have it appear BOTH in there and in this general forum for WIDE discussion. I would not allow new threads to be started up in there. Have it be a moderator-placed-only thing. The threads have to start up in this general discussion forum and if they turn out to be fairly educational, honor them by tossing them into the Educational section.

I'd also provide a link to that Educational section on the website. These threads are a lot better than standard FAQs because there's give-and-take between askers and answerers and these are more geared for the layman since it is us laymen that are doing the asking. Normal FAQs commonly fail because the ones-with-all-the-answers did both the "asking" and answering thus they (the ones-with-all-the-answers) tend to think they have sufficiently answered the question when they haven't and/or have "asked" all the questions people would likely ask. A lot of times the ones-with-all-the-answers don't realize when they're jumping ahead of the horse or assuming "everyone" knows such-and-such fact, theory, etc. These threads are not perfect, but they have done a LOT better job than normal FAQs.

As for slimming the threads down that you toss into the Educational section ... hmmm ... that could be a bit touchy. Also, sub-threads can be just as educational. It might be a bit messy, but I wouldn't edit them ... even editting out this little discussion about educational threads and what to do with them since in a way it is also educational about how this project is trying to educate crunchers about itself.

By the way, I'd suggest that "Rate this Thread" be changed to "How educational is this thread?". First, I've never seen (or more likely paid attention to) such ratings before and doubt anyone has. Instead ask "How educational is this thread?" then have only two check-off boxes of "This is a good one to add to the Educational section" and "This is a good one to add to the Technical Support section". This would simply be a way for you moderators to know what we crunchers think was educational or good technical support. The voting would really have no power (cannot put a thread into the Educational or Technical Support sections), but simply would raise that thread to your attention for consideration for one or the other section.