Thread: Florianopolis Air Base - 17/Oct/2004

Florianopolis Air Base - 17/Oct/2004

Pictures that I took on Florianopolis Air Base, on October 17th (my city, in southern Brazil), when this air base was opened to the public:

I love airshows. My dad was a fighter pilot (and instructor) when I was growing up. I was always fascinated by aircraft. I used to spend countless hours reading about them and drawing pictures of them. I had a room full of McDonnel Douglas and Grumman publicity posters.

It's funny that I eventually grew up and joined the Army instead of the Air Force like my father. Of course, I knew I was only going to stay in for a single 4-year stint, and you don't get to fly with such a short commitment. Being an Army Ranger for 4 years seemed far more appealing than being an airplane mechanic, so...

At any rate, I still go to airshows out at Pope AFB (it's part of the military complex at Ft Bragg where I was stationed when I got out of the service). Sometimes I even get my dad to come down and go with me.
    "So utterly at variance is destiny with all the little plans of men." - H.G. Wells