Thread: FAD on *nix

Question FAD on *nix

Finally got a Linux machine back up (Fedora Core 3) and I installed FAD on it. I'm a bit confused though. When I 'top' or 'ps aux', the system shows the CPU usage of think as 90+ percent. When I do an 'uptime' though, the load averages are in the 1 - 2 percent range. Any ideas? TIA!

EDIT: I've tried to 'renice' the think process repeatedly, only to have it reset its nice value back to 19 after a minute or so (if that).
    Last edited by redukt; 05-05-2005 at 12:47 AM.
    The whole world, de-acidified and filtered

http://redukt.org

I'm pretty sure load averages are how many processes are queued for execution. As long as it doesn't hit zero I'm pretty sure you're okay. In fact, the smaller the number the less think has to compete for processor time.

I'd also suggest not renicing the process, the reason being that it should stay out of the way of system processes and just use up the free time. Those tasks are usually smaller jobs and it's better to just do them as fast as possible: this will lead to less context switching and improve performance (although we're talking on the order of maybe 1 point every month ).