Originally posted by Brian the Fist
HEre is the method Ive decided upon for now which seems logical to me. I wrote a 'daemon'-like program (will be built for all the supported OSes) which checks out server for updates every 5 minutes. When a new version is detected, it downloads it for whichever OSes you specify in the config file and places it in some directory you specify. This local machine must be running a web server and put the files somewhere in the web server directory tree.

Then on your local client, you can make a local config with the URL for your local webserver. IF present, then when an update is available the client will download the update from the local URL and not our server. If it fails to get it from the local URL(perhaps because it didnt download it yet) it will keep trying every couple minutes until it succeeds, it will never contact out server directly for the update (as long as the local config file is present).

I hope to have this in place in time for Tuesday's update. Any comments, ideas are wlcome until then, especially from Millenium Guy or Jodie or DATA who have big farms.
It would be great if it could be a fileshare instead of a webserver, but in my case either would be fine. Upon thinking about this, probably anybody with a farm could spare a little space on an existing webserver. I like the concept and will be glad to test it when you have a version ready.