Thread: Small n factoring

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sieve it, baby!
    Well, running an ECM with a comparable chance of success takes longer than P-1 factoring. Hence, as long as there are enough candidates, it's best to stay at P-1. ECM comes in handy when a particular candidate has to be factored, especially when looking for a 40+ digit factor. In this range, P-1 factoring gets less efficient...

If you want to try ECM factoring nevertheless, there are basically two (well, three) options to do it:

1a. Use Prime95
    This should be the easiest one. Just use the command "ECM2=" in the worktodo.ini. The syntax is
    ECM2=k,b,n,c,B1,B2,curves_to_do[,specific_sigma]
    1b. Use gmp-ecm
    I haven't tested this program with numbers that high, though. And I think that it will be slower, because base 2 factoring attempts are pretty optimized in Prime95. Maybe the better stage2 implementation can gain some performance points again, but this usually levels the playing field at high digit searches (guesstimate: 35+ digits) only.
    Syntax:
    ecm <number> <B1> [<B2>]

You can also add parameters such as -c <curveCount>.

2. Mix: Prime95 for stage1, gmp-ecm for stage2
    The most efficient, but also most complex way. I don't go into further details, as knowing how to do 1a and 1b is recommended...

any news on the factoring of 991? anyone still trying this?

Sieve it, baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keroberts1
    any news on the factoring of 991? anyone still trying this?
    I do some work from time to time. If Joe O did no new curves since June 15th, we're at ~20% now.