Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jeff's Christmas Lights Thread...

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries
    Ok, security cameras are going down to one during the show because we are getting anywhere from 1 to 5 people viewing them at a time and my poor connection(and computer) just can't keep up. The good news is that if you are the only one on, you could get up to 30fps BUT I think it's probably only 15-20fps because of my connection. It's way better than when the three cameras are running.

I can tell a 120fps 4-ch capture card is just around the corner!

-Jeff
    Our Christmas Lights:
    MaineLights.org

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Jeff if your serious about security camera get yourself a proper DVR either custom chipped or linux / windows based one which has the correct hardware and software codecs etc running on it..
    I know what I'm on about as well, given I've spec'd quite a few up for customers. Some capture cards are okay some are flaky as heck but watch out for "Geovision" cards unless they are bought from GeoVision themselves or a registered GeoVison reseller don't buy - no come back with them and no support from GeoVision.. Just a heads up.. I've used windows / linux based DVR's quite good actually what you can achieve.. although if these are static / short term then it maybe a but OTT... Most come with software that lets you remote view or a webpage that does the same, some do both, and some better than others.
    It's not always the "fps" but the raw processing power needed to recode the images for transmission as you think about it take a 480x320 (2-CIF) as it's known that's 460,800 bytes of data (assuming 24-bit color) per frame or 11,520,000 bytes per second that need coded to be transmitted say via x.264 or mjpeg that's a lot to do and some capture cards can do it providing they have the CPU behind them..
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Ok, security cameras are going down to one during the show because we are getting anywhere from 1 to 5 people viewing them at a time and my poor connection(and computer) just can't keep up. The good news is that if you are the only one on, you could get up to 30fps BUT I think it's probably only 15-20fps because of my connection. It's way better than when the three cameras are running.

I can tell a 120fps 4-ch capture card is just around the corner!

-Jeff
    And Now

Due to my limited bandwidth, the cameras have been disabled.
    Sorry but I didn't think they would be that popular.

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries
    You have a PM coming your way Lauren.

We were part of that little Ice/Snow/Icy Snow storm that passed through the north east this past week. We didn't lose power, but after seeing how much ice we receive I really don't know how.

Here are a ton of pictures I took of the ice/snow/icy snow...
    http://www.mainelights.org/Christmas2008IceStorm

Still no video since I'm having a mental block. For some reason I just don't feel like getting the video since I know once I do, I'll have to edit it to add good sound and stuff like that and tbh, I'm just tired of all the work involved with the lights. All I really like doing now is watching them and handing out Candy Canes with my 6yr old daughter to the people parked in our driveway.

-Jeff
    Our Christmas Lights:
    MaineLights.org

Wow! Good thing nothing shorted out.
    Looks really nice Jeff!

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries
    Thanks IB!

And finally, the first video. (up until 2am last night working on it, and then back to it this morning... ugh!)

The Gold lights aren't showing up that well, they look like a dimmer white as explained to me by my non-color blind wife. And we couldn't get the 12' 3,600 light tree to the right of the display in frame... even using the wide screen lens.

Other than that, it's a decent video of the display. Hopefully I'll get a couple more up in the next few days.

-Jeff
    Our Christmas Lights:
    MaineLights.org

Blog Entries
    Thanks IB!

And finally, the first video. (up until 2am last night working on it, and then back to it this morning... ugh!)

The Gold lights aren't showing up that well, they look like a dimmer white as explained to me by my non-color blind wife. And we couldn't get the 12' 3,600 light tree to the right of the display in frame... even using the wide screen lens.

Other than that, it's a decent video of the display. Hopefully I'll get a couple more up in the next few days.

-Jeff
    Way Way Cool Jeff

Do you have time to come do my house up in Lights

That is really Schweet! Jeff

Awesome video. If you took Holdman's sequences you basically had to re-arrange them to match what lights you have installed right? You going to do any original sequencing this year or wait until next year when you have more time?

Three more videos are posted now.

Winter Wonderland:
    Carol of the Bells:
    Amazing Grace:

You did a great job Jeff, I really like the sequencing on Carol of Bells, it looks great with your setup. Too bad I couldn't see it in person.

Jeff: Did you see that Holdman's neighbours voted to have the gate to the community closed this year so he had to move the display to someone else's house this year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Parasite View Post
    Awesome video. If you took Holdman's sequences you basically had to re-arrange them to match what lights you have installed right? You going to do any original sequencing this year or wait until next year when you have more time?

Three more videos are posted now.

Winter Wonderland:
    Carol of the Bells:
    Amazing Grace:

You did a great job Jeff, I really like the sequencing on Carol of Bells, it looks great with your setup. Too bad I couldn't see it in person.

Jeff: Did you see that Holdman's neighbours voted to have the gate to the community closed this year so he had to move the display to someone else's house this year.
    Well thats OK if Jeff's neighbors Block him out
    He can come over and set it up here

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries

Thanks a lot. Yep, we used his actual sequences for our display with everything just re-arranged. I did change a couple things completely but they are so minor in the grand scheme of things, I doubt anyone would ever notice.

And we are definitely doing original songs next year. I have already started one and it's coming along nicely, but I doubt it will be completely done for this year. It takes loads of time to make things look good and flow smoothly. Of course I picked the person with probably THE most talent for his type of sequencing to use as a my guide so that just adds to the amount of time it takes.

It's funny... I almost feel a little bad that we copied him so much. I know our house is NOTHING like his and we have some different elements but man... when I watch the videos I feel like a copy-cat. What is strange is when I am standing outside in front of everything, I don't think it looks like his too much at all. Only in the videos.

And I guess in a funny/sad twist for Richard, some of his neighbors were not even aware of the vote that took place last year to shut him out. With the people that have approached him, he would have had enough votes to keep it going. These neighbors were pissed that the grumps won out and supposedly are going to cause a stink... which I applaud!

He has a new video out of his new location...
    http://www.holdman.com/christmas/video2008.asp

I like it A LOT, but I miss his house setup.

-Jeff

p.s. Lauren, I'd LOVE to do another house... if only you lived closer.
    Our Christmas Lights:
    MaineLights.org

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries
    Shoot, forgot to mention that we have 6 videos up now...
    http://www.vimeo.com/mainelights/videos

I have to remix Miracle on 34th Street because the sound is about 1/2s off which I should be able to do tonight, no problem.

Amazing Grace on the other hand, I have to re-film it because the right roof channel is stuck flickering for ~40s of the video. This kind of thing happens once in a great while and I didn't even notice it until after mixed the sound in.

I'm also planning on filming the into since it's pretty neat.

-Jeff
    Our Christmas Lights:
    MaineLights.org

Jeff, Dude first real chance I've had to look at the videos they are good very good but where's the Winter Wonderland one it's "no longer there"

Edit now they've ALL gone

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm... wonder if Vimeo had a little hickup yesterday because they are all there for me? Here is the link I clicked on...

And thanks for the kind words. It's nice hearing/seeing people happy with something you've spent time on. Both my parents just light up when they watch the show in person... gives you that "warm fuzzy" feeling inside.

-Jeff

[edit]And I've re-done Miracle on 34th Street a few times now and for some reason Vimeo is making the sound out of sync. The file I upload looks/sounds good, then once it's on Vimeo, out-of-sync. I'm going to try adding a moment of dead space in the beginning to see if that helps.
    Our Christmas Lights:
    MaineLights.org

Yeah I retried it a bit later and got it but it was kinda late and I erm forgot to add that I had managed to get them all... Darn hiccup's like that - sent the link to a few people I know and they seemed to like it ..

Jeff, just so you know, I was talking to Richard Holdman about his new setup and let him know that I found out about him from you. He didn't know your website address so I gave it to him since he was interested in seeing what you had done. So he has probably visited it by now and has seen your work.

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries
    Cool. I asked him on two separate occasions to make sure he didn't mind me using his sequences and both times it was just a "go for it" reply. Class act he is... class act.

-Jeff

p.s. If you don't mind, what were you talking to him about? Christmas light stuff? If so, are you going to be taking the leap soon?
    Our Christmas Lights:
    MaineLights.org

I can just see it now...
    Jeff: Hello is that Nasa?
    Government Agency: Yes, how can we help?
    Jeff: I wonder if I could borrow one of your satellites as I'm co-ordinating one massive light show and just want to see the over all effect..
    GA: Erm I'll have to see some ID...
    Jeff: Here's my previous work....
    GA: Hmm Impressive.. Okay

And thus is passed that Light Sequencing went Distributed

p.s. If you don't mind, what were you talking to him about? Christmas light stuff? If so, are you going to be taking the leap soon?
    Just telling him my kids love his videos and ask to watch them all year long and that it sucks some of his neighbours conspired to shut him down this year.

Nope, not taking the leap, don't have the time or the money being a full-time student with kids.

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries
    Figured I'd bump this thread since the lights are going up.

We didn't work on much throughout the year this year since I think I burned out a little towards the end there last year. We are adding new elements and re-arranging things a bit for this year's show though. And since there are new elements, there are 5 more controllers(for 80 more channels) and a couple new electrical circuits. I ended up re-wiring a couple existing circuits to help spread the load out so I *think* we should be pretty good electrically speaking.

And I have already installed two of my old cameras and one new camera. I am also waiting on a 120FPS capture card and another new camera to complete the "security" part of the setup. I'm hoping the 120FPS capture card will have some decent software where you guys(yep, you Lauren!) can log on and see some good video of the show. I'm also going to try and get some audio going too.

Just taking a little break while the showers move through and then I'll be back out there. There's nothing in the yard yet so the video feed won't really show much but in case you want to watch traffic drive by... here you go...

http://www.mainelights.org:81
    username: guest
    password: guest

I'm going to be working on a couple things on the video feed page so it may go up and down. And this is with my old 30FPS card so the video is jumpy.
    Our Christmas Lights:
    MaineLights.org

Yeehaa, can't wait!!

Sweet, so what did you end up using your FreeDC Xmas Party winnings to get?

Jeff.

Blog Entries

Jeff.
    Probably went toward last years Elect bill

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries

Jeff.
    More strobes!!! We're up to over 100 now and I'm completely re-thinking how we used them last year. We had ~60 on/in the Mega-Tree but I'm thinking they will make more of an impact if we spread them out in more places. I'm going to experiment this weekend with 30 LED strobes on the house. (those are the strobes that Christmas $$$ went towards)

I'm *really* having fun with the lights again. I took a long, LONG break this year and I think it did me good.

-Jeff
    Our Christmas Lights:
    MaineLights.org

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LAURENU2 View Post
    Probably went toward last years Elect bill
    Funny... really funny!!!
    Our Christmas Lights:
    MaineLights.org

Blog Entries
    Funny... really funny!!!
    I do Try

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries
    Made some pretty good progress today...

As you can see, we liked the single snowflake trail from last year so much we added two more. The only thing I have left to do on the trail to the left is paint the wood black so it doesn't stand out as much.

Tomorrow the 6'2" Bethlehem Star is going on the roof and hopefully the 21' mega-tree will be going up as well.
    Our Christmas Lights:
    MaineLights.org

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries
    Hey Lauren, I know you watched the cameras from time to time last year so I figured I'd tell you I got the last camera going this afternoon so all four are working now. Still waiting for the 120FPS capture card so the video is herky-jerky but you can really get a feel for the display now. Can't wait for that new capture card!

BTW, this is the software I use for remote viewing... much better than the Microsoft only addon imho...
    http://www.adventurevision.com/pub/Net%20Player.exe
    (same logon as the website)
    Our Christmas Lights:
    MaineLights.org

yup I concur the software is much better

A few odd effects in Win 7, possibly only till I have time to explore it. Think it's also an auto sizing thing with the monitor....
    Showedthe wife your display the other week Jeff and tho' she was suitably impressed she says I have to put up some video from the car when we're driving thru' our local area (from top of Leam Lane estate to White Mare Pool Bok and any other ex pat Geordies catching this) as it's becoming a traditional Xmas competition for the best house and sometimes street display in the North East of England if not or as well as other parts of UK and tv certainly has many items around this time of year on the race for Xmas light domination.
    All I need to figure is what I can upload here or where to upload some mobile video and what format to use tho' I can convert between most of them. And don't want to pinch anybody's thread or cause a "Trump this one then" world domination of Xmas lights race
    Now, I really must get away from this site and do some real work .
    Like an ol` 8086, slow but serviceable.
    One advantage of old age...nobody can tell you how much cake you can eat

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries
    Sounds cool... upload away!
    Our Christmas Lights:
    MaineLights.org

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries
    New 4-channel capture card is installed and *finally* working. There is new software for it and it works great even under Vista so maybe it'll work under Win7. The software looks the same but it seems more stable than the old software.

http://www.adventurevision.com/pub/Net%20Player.exe

One thing to note is if you choose the "Direct3D" Display Mode then the four cameras will go out of sync with each other. It doesn't happen when I'm on my local network but it does happen once I leave the house.

Logon is the same...
    IP: mainelights.org
    username: guest
    password: guest

I've been out there a ton this week and I'll be heading back out after lunch here. The 30FPS per camera make the world of difference. Camera 4 actually makes the show look like... well... the show. I'm going to try to move it to the spot I recorded last year's videos so you can see everything... that is once I get everything done... which I think might happen around January 1st.

Go live night is Thanksgiving night so I better get back out there.
    Our Christmas Lights:
    MaineLights.org

Yeah the software works great and well hope ya get the camera

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries
    Opening night jitters are subsiding and the show is running with only a few hickups here and there. The cameras are running and performing decent. I still need to get one non-infrared one and put in where it will pickup the entire display... colors and all.

Only wish I wasn't soooo stuffed like a Turkey right now because there are a few lights burned out on the roof.

Happy Thanksgiving All!!!
    Our Christmas Lights:
    MaineLights.org

Are you going to re-film your setup this year to put on YouTube for all to see?

Did you have much traffic stop by on opening night?

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries
    Funny you should ask about filming this year's display... we just had company in from out of town this evening and they also asked.

I do plan on taping it... but I'm not sure when. I'm still working on little things here and there so it probably won't be for another week or so. I'll definitely let you know when I do.

And we had a nice slow flow of traffic the past two nights. I'd say 40-ish cars each night which is perfect. One or two cars can pull into the drive way and enjoy the rotation of sequences which lasts about 20 minutes. Opening night I was on the roof changing out some faded gold lights and this one Jeep full of people couldn't beleive I was up there in the dark. They laughed for at least 2 minutes straight... it was great.
    Our Christmas Lights:
    MaineLights.org

So how has the show being going, getting lots of traffic now?

Looks like someone wants to bring the Christmas light display to the next level with a Guitar Hero interaction mode:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXjbM...ayer_embedded#

Although in reality, the guitar is probably just for show and doesn't actually do anything.

Blog Entries
    Jeff there are 2 ticket being FedEx to you to leave tomorrow at 12 noon to come to Chicago to DO MY HOUSE

you just keep getting Better and Better and Better

Cameras?

Are the cameras still online? Can't seem to connect.

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries
    I'm 99.9% sure that Guitar Hero video is NOT interactive. LOR is be able to do some input... but unless you dissected the LOR protocol then I don't see how you could do it.

Traffic has been up... but people have been doing much better at policing themselves as far as blocking the road and such(knock on wood). Funny thing is our donations are *way* down. You can't really blame people though because it's pretty hard to donate when either you don't have a job or you're worried about keeping your job.

And Lauren... let's start planning for next year. I'm game if you are.

And finally... the cameras... Unfortunately, just like last year, traffic got to be too much. Only this year the show computer was "glitching" and causing the show to actually go completely BLACK for 5 to 7 seconds so I had to disable the guest account. The new 30FPS 4-channel capture card was a catch-22... it provides much better video but it also uses a TON more bandwidth so I had to do what I had to do unfortunately.

Have a Merry Christmas Free-DCers!!! The wifey and I have truly missed the Free-DC party. I know it's only an online party... but it was a whole lot of fun!

-Jeff

p.s. Videos are now online!!!
    Our Christmas Lights:
    MaineLights.org

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast