Thread: CUDA client now available!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Yes. You can run a real video card in the same computer, hopefully at least an nVidia brand, so they can share the same video driver

Blog Entries
    i read tread at /., and it says tesla is a 8800 nvidia. just without video output, and optimized for running 24/7
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

I have no idea... I'm going to wait until it's out of beta, or at least a beta that will last longer than 12 hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Death View Post
    i read tread at /., and it says tesla is a 8800 nvidia. just without video output, and optimized for running 24/7
    That would have been the older/first Tesla card they made.
    The new one is built from the 280...

Per AMDave, copy the libcudart.so.2 file into the /usr/lib64/ directory.

I might add that if you had selected a specific core and done away with the auto selection to save time, set it back to auto and run it a few times to verify which new core each gpu likes.

Blog Entries
    well, there IS windows client )) but it not even in pre-release stage. chech this topic. I really made a miss...
    http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17078 topic title should read WINDOWS CUDA CLIENT.
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Post Title Edited
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Blog Entries
    pre release 508 avail.

windows cuda on it's way!
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

Quote Originally Posted by IronBits View Post
    Yes. You can run a real video card in the same computer, hopefully at least an nVidia brand, so they can share the same video driver
    That make sense.... Duh

So now there is a second cuda beta out as the first one expires in less than 12 hours. The first one would look in the local directory for the libcudart.so.2 library files. However the second one doesn't look in the local directory for the files. So does some enterprising soul know how the "real" library files are installed in to ubuntu 8.10 without compiling the whole cuda sdk kit? In looking at one ref out there, they said that the latest cuda wasn't supported by ubuntu 8.10, and that to stuff it in anyway, one would have to install an earlier version gcc and such... It would seem that there would be an rpm file out there in the big cloud to dump the libcudart files in for those that aren't doing software development and just want to run a precompiled client. Otherwise it's easier to just give the gpu's to the local gamer phreaks and go back to hard core 4x4 wheeling...