Thread: Stats are down

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    RAID slows it down too much and it's not that great with SSD's anyway.

I do my own custom replication instead. Backups are on separate drives. This is the web facing database anyway which is read only, so it's 'mostly' duplicated from the main one. Means it gets LOTS of writes though and I guess it's finally taken it's toll.

Blog Entries
    Have you looked into the pciE drives at all there faster and have more capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    Means it gets LOTS of writes though and I guess it's finally taken it's toll.
    A write-caching program can cut down on writes by an order of magnitude or more. I have used both FancyCache (Romex Software) and PerfectCache 5.0 (Raxco), and they both give very good results for limiting the writes to my SSD when I run the CEP2 project on World Community Grid. Writes will typically go from 80 GB/day down to less than 1 GB/day, but that depends a lot on the statistics of what you are doing of course, and the size of the DRAM cache you set.

FancyCache is currently in Beta (free 90 day trial), and PefectCache 5.0 is $80 (30 day free trial), but well worth it if you have the right situation.