Thread: Downgrading from HT processor to non-HT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    If it starts running poorly again, check to see if the processor is throttling down due to overheating. And make sure BIOS settings has throttling turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by outlnder View Post
    If it starts running poorly again, check to see if the processor is throttling down due to overheating. And make sure BIOS settings has throttling turned off.
    Latest gripping news update!

Still wasn't 100% reliable. Connected up a kbd and monitor and took a look in the BIOS. Nothing wrong. But I did up the fan ratio and base/minimum speed as I don't care about fan noise for this machine. That knocked 15 degrees off of the CPU temperature (which was within limits anyway). No sign of throttling before (used a couple of the 'standard' throttle monitors and they never recorded any throttling, even when the machine was running slow).

So, as I had a use for the DIMMs, I whipped them out and dropped in a single 'big' DIMM. And, so far, so good. I'm wondering if it's a dodgy DIMM socket, as it ran fine with the original single DIMM, and it's only really since I've been swapping memory around and adding memory that the problem surfaced.

I'll be back next month to tell you that the latest 'fix' made no difference

Al.

Hehe. Necroposting, but just found this thread again and thought I'd post the answer for my own benefit ...

Turns out the mobo is *very* fussy about DIMMs. Really fussy. Managed to get the machine stable with a single 512 DIMM in slot 0. Pretty much anything else doesn't work. To be fair, the mobo manual only recommends DIMMs that I either don't have or can't get.

Cheap PC -> Months of pain But, cheap is cheap, and I got there in the end

Al.